Re: More extension issues: ownership and search_path

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: More extension issues: ownership and search_path
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> Quite aside from search path, cross-extension dependencies simply aren't
>> going to work unless pg_dump knows about them so it can load the
>> extensions in the right order.  I had forgotten about the earthdistance
>> case, but given that I think we probably can't put this issue off.

> Well in fact the ordering already works because some earthdistance
> objects depend on some cube objects, and pg_dump sees that in pg_depend.

Really?  I think it's more likely just luckily working because of the
alphabetical-ordering default.  To make it work reliably off of those
dependencies, we'd need some code to pull up the dependency links from
the individual objects to the module level, and we haven't got that.
I'd prefer to make the module dependencies explicit anyway.

> Imagine that you wrote a set of plpgsql and plpythonu functions that you
> want to maintain as an extension.  You certainly want to mark that this
> extension depends on the procedural languages being installed, right?

Interesting point.  It's all right at the moment because I tweaked
pg_dump_sort.c so that procedural languages are dumped before modules.
But maybe we should convert the PLs to modules.