Re: Time to drop plpython2?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Time to drop plpython2?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> If we add this test first, then all we're going to learn is probably
> that 60% of those who are currently using python2 don't have python3
> installed, and then we're still going to have to send that above email.

I don't know what fraction don't have python3 installed, and it doesn't
matter much, since it's unlikely that it's either 0% or 100%.  What
I hoped to learn was, of those who *do* have some python3 installed,
which version it is.  That might inform our thoughts about where to
set the minimum python3 version.

Relevant data points:

* Our docs claim the minimum 3.x version for pl/python itself is 3.1,
but this is unbacked by any testing; the oldest 3.x in the buildfarm
is 3.4.3 (three such animals).

* Meson only promises support back to python 3.6, but if that's
accurate it's going to be a problem for us, because there are lots
of live LTS distributions with older python3 (RHEL7, Solaris 11.3,
AIX 7.2 for starters).  I've been planning to do some testing and
see if meson will run under python 3.4 or 3.5.

But this probably belongs on the meson thread, since that looks like
it will be a much stronger constraint than pl/python is.