Re: linux standard layout

От Plugge, Joe R.
Тема Re: linux standard layout
Дата
Re: linux standard layout
Список pgsql-admin
It has been a while ago Scott, I don't remember exactly.  If it currently is not an issue then I will not be so
resistantto using packages/rpms for postgres installs.  One other item, and maybe it is just that I have never done it
...how would one install a package/rpm and change page size, XML, or enable ssl connections?   Just curious?

Joe

________________________________
From: Scott Marlowe [scott.marlowe@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 12:16 AM
To: Plugge, Joe R.
Cc: Ben Kim; pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] linux standard layout

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Plugge, Joe R. <JRPlugge@west.com> wrote:
> A word of caution for packages/rpms.  Beware of admins who apply ALL updates that are available to a system.  I have
seenthis happen taking Postgres from say vresion 8.3.X to 8.4.X, which as you can imagine, caused problems.

I've never used an OS that upgraded major versions of pg midstream.
I.e. going from ubuntu 8.04 to 9.10 yeah maybe.  Going from one update
to the next of 8.04 no way.  What OS have you seen this happen in ?

Note that it's still a good idea to put things like kernels and pgsql
into the exclude catagories in the yum conf.