Re: ERROR: character 0x90 of encoding "WIN1252" has no equivalent in "UTF8"

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: ERROR: character 0x90 of encoding "WIN1252" has no equivalent in "UTF8"
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 5 Jun 2010, at 16:07, Wang, Mary Y wrote:

> Thanks Alban, but I'm still confused.
> I just read the PostgreSQL manual, and got the impression that UTF8 would take care of ALL character sets, so I put
SETclient_encoding = 'UTF8' in the dump file, and reload it again, then I got even more errors like:

Ah no, that won't work if your data isn't encoded according to UTF-8.

> What is the client encoding that I should set to so that it would take care all character sets?
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/multibyte.html

We can't know that. It's your client application(s) that put the data into your database, it depends on their
encoding(s).That's the encoding you need.

If no encoding was specified you probably ended up with a mixed bag of encodings. AFAIK the only way out of that is to
checkeverything by hand - a computer won't know what the data means, so isn't likely to be able to figure out what
encodingwas used.

If you don't care, set your database to use SQL_ASCII and it will just store the literal bytes as they are, without
tryingto interpret their encodings. If you already have a mixed bag of encodings, that's the easiest solution to get
backto a working system - be aware though that you probably were already having issues with displaying some data
correctly.

andfrom a dump file when I tried to use psql command to restore the dump.

>> I have SET client_encoding = 'win1252' in the dump file.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>

> Apparently Win1252 is the not the right encoding to use for your data, as 0x90 is undefined in that encoding. See
http://dbaspot.com/forums/ingres-database/414795-re-info-ingres-fw-how-insert-control-charactersintovarcharcolumn.html
forsomeone with the same problem (on Ingres) and links to two different code pages listing the characters therein.