Re: Restrict ALTER FUNCTION CALLED ON NULL INPUT (was Re: Not quite a security hole: CREATE LANGUAGE for non-superusers)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Restrict ALTER FUNCTION CALLED ON NULL INPUT (was Re: Not quite a security hole: CREATE LANGUAGE for non-superusers)
Дата
Ответ на Re: Restrict ALTER FUNCTION CALLED ON NULL INPUT (was Re: Not quite a security hole: CREATE LANGUAGE for non-superusers)  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Ответы Re: Restrict ALTER FUNCTION CALLED ON NULL INPUT (was Re: Not quite a security hole: CREATE LANGUAGE for non-superusers)  ("Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>)
Re: Restrict ALTER FUNCTION CALLED ON NULL INPUT (was Re: Not quite a security hole: CREATE LANGUAGE for non-superusers)  (Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
>>> This seems bizarre and largely unnecessary. �As you stated to begin
>>> with, granting ownership of a function implies some degree of trust.

>> Yes, but I would never expect that level of trust to include access to crash
>> the server as a consequence of the function's reliance on STRICT.

> +1.  Crashes are bad.

C functions, by definition, carry a risk of crashing the server.
I cannot fathom the reasoning why we should consider that granting
ownership of one to an untrustworthy user is ever a good idea, let alone
something we promise to protect you from any bad consequences of.

Even if I accepted that premise, this patch is a pretty bad
implementation of it, because it restricts cases that there is no
reason to think are unsafe.

A less bizarre and considerably more future-proof restriction, IMO,
would simply refuse any attempt to give ownership of a C function
to a non-superuser.