Re: Backup solution over unreliable network

От Evan Bauer
Тема Re: Backup solution over unreliable network
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Achilleas,

I may be over-simplifying your situation, but have you considered breaking the problem into two pieces?  First backing
upto a local drive and then using rsync to move those files over the unreliable network to the remote site.

Like other who have responded, I can heartily recommend pgbackrest.  But if the network stinks, then I’d break the
problemin two and leave PostgreSQL out of the network equation.

Cheers,

Evan

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 30, 2018, at 05:17, Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> we've been running our backup solution for the last 5 months to a second site which has an unreliable network
connection.We had problems with barman, since it doesn't support backup resume, also no option to disable the
replicationslot, in the sense, that it is better to sacrifice the backup rather than fill up the primary with WALs and
bringthe primary down. Another issue is now supporting entirely backing up from the secondary. With barman this is not
possible,streaming (or archiving) must originate from the primary.So I want to ask two things here :
> - Backing up to a remote site over an unreliable channel is a limited use case by itself, it is useful for local PITR
restoreson specific tables/data, or in case the whole primary suffers a disaster. Is there any other benefit that would
justifybuilding a solution for it?

От: David Steele
Сообщение: Re: Backup solution over unreliable network
От: Achilleas Mantzios
Сообщение: Re: Backup solution over unreliable network