Re: Performance Question

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Performance Question
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
- - <themanatuf@yahoo.com> writes:
> One of my tables has 660,000 records and doing a SELECT * from that table (without any joins or sorts) takes 72
seconds.Ordering the table based on 3 columns almost doubles that time to an average of 123 seconds. To me, those
numbersare crazy slow and I don't understand why the queries are taking so long. The tables are UTF-8 encode and
containa mix of languages (English, Spanish, etc). I'm running the query from pgadmin3 on a remote host. The server has
nothingelse running on it except the database.

pgadmin has got its own performance issues with large select results.
Are you sure the bulk of the time isn't being spent on the client side?
Watching top or vmstat on both machines would probably tell much.