Re: [HACKERS] Re: Postgres Features for 7.X

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: Postgres Features for 7.X
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> I've just remembered the other problem with PG that needs to be listed for
>> fixing.
>>
>> This is the 7 field index limit

It's 8, not 7, afaik...

> I am working on this now.  7.0 will have a postgres.h parameter that can
> be changed.  Default is 8.

I looked at this a while ago and realized that the fundamental problem
is that pg_index depends on types oid8 and int28 (hardwired 8-element
arrays of oid and int2, respectively).  Are you going to rename these
types to oidN and int2N and make the value of N a config parameter?
Seems like a good idea ... but that magic constant 8 is buried in
a depressingly large number of places, a lot of which aren't even
symbolic constants :-(

If you do fix this, I'd suggest bumping the default N up to 16 or so;
seems like that would make a lot of people happier than N=8...