Re: Deleting old archived WAL files

От Jaume Sabater
Тема Re: Deleting old archived WAL files
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Chander Ganesan wrote:

> Note: If you are using 8.3, you can even just disable the
> archive_command when you aren't doing a recovery...

Hmmm... after reading these pages:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-ARCHIVING-WAL
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/runtime-config-wal.html#GUC-ARCHIVE-COMMAND

I understand that, if the archive_command is set to an empty string, then WAL files will accumulate in pg_xlog/ until a
workingarchive_command is re-established.

So, should I set the archive_command parameter to any of these?

1. exit 0
2. cp %p /dev/null

Or something similar. I mean this as I have no intention to preserve them unless I am doing an online recovery, in
whichcase I would actually set a meaningful value into that parameter:

archive_command = '/bin/cp %p /var/lib/postgresql/pg_xlog_archive/%f'

--
Jaume Sabater
http://linuxsilo.net/

"Ubi sapientas ibi libertas"