Re: iso-8859-1 annotation '-cim' in source code

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: iso-8859-1 annotation '-cim' in source code
Дата
Re: iso-8859-1 annotation '-cim' in source code
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2024-Jul-04, Tom Lane wrote:

> "David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Wed, Jul 3, 2024 at 8:46 PM Steve Lau <stevelauc@outlook.com> wrote:
> >> While reading the source code, I noticed comments like "-cim 9/10/89".
>
> > It's the initials of the person who, back in 1989, wrote the preceding
> > comments
>
> Right.
>
> > PostgreSQL inherited the code which is when our git history begins.  This
> > comment was part of the original source.
>
> We lack any source-code-control history before 1996, so there's no
> way to be sure who wrote that, unless you can identify some Berkeley
> Postgres person with those initials.

Actually, somebody (thanks, Stas) set up a Github repo of the old
history here:
https://github.com/kelvich/postgres_pre95
There you can find commits like this
https://github.com/kelvich/postgres_pre95/commit/0bf22e7dbb09b68b6e4c34dccc1440ebe98f8049
where tons of "- cim" comments were introduced.  Unix account name was
"cimarron".  You can go on from there if you want, but why?

"But static content is just dynamic content that isn't moving!"
                http://smylers.hates-software.com/2007/08/15/fe244d0c.html