Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations

От Sutou Kouhei
Тема Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations
Дата
Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations  (Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

In <10025bac-158c-ffe7-fbec-32b42629121f@dunslane.net>
  "Re: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations" on Wed, 24 Jan 2024 07:15:55 -0500,
  Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> On 2024-01-24 We 03:11, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 02:49:36PM +0900, Sutou Kouhei wrote:
>>> For COPY TO:
>>>
>>> 0001: This adds CopyToRoutine and use it for text/csv/binary
>>> formats. No implementation change. This just move codes.
>> 10M without this change:
>>
>>      format,elapsed time (ms)
>>      text,1090.763
>>      csv,1136.103
>>      binary,1137.141
>>
>> 10M with this change:
>>
>>      format,elapsed time (ms)
>>      text,1082.654
>>      csv,1196.991
>>      binary,1069.697
>>
>> These numbers point out that binary is faster by 6%, csv is slower by
>> 5%, while text stays around what looks like noise range.  That's not
>> negligible.  Are these numbers reproducible?  If they are, that could
>> be a problem for anybody doing bulk-loading of large data sets.  I am
>> not sure to understand where the improvement for binary comes from by
>> reading the patch, but perhaps perf would tell more for each format?
>> The loss with csv could be blamed on the extra manipulations of the
>> function pointers, likely.
>

> I don't think that's at all acceptable.
>
> We've spent quite a lot of blood sweat and tears over the years to make COPY
> fast, and we should not sacrifice any of that lightly.

These numbers aren't reproducible. Because these benchmarks
executed on my normal machine not a machine only for
benchmarking. The machine runs another processes such as
editor and Web browser.

For example, here are some results with master
(94edfe250c6a200d2067b0debfe00b4122e9b11e):

Format,N records,Elapsed time (ms)
csv,10000000,1073.715
csv,10000000,1022.830
csv,10000000,1073.584
csv,10000000,1090.651
csv,10000000,1052.259

Here are some results with master + the 0001 patch:

Format,N records,Elapsed time (ms)
csv,10000000,1025.356
csv,10000000,1067.202
csv,10000000,1014.563
csv,10000000,1032.088
csv,10000000,1058.110

I uploaded my benchmark script so that you can run the same
benchmark on your machine:

https://gist.github.com/kou/be02e02e5072c91969469dbf137b5de5

Could anyone try the benchmark with master and master+0001?

Thanks,
--
kou