Re: SLRU optimization - configurable buffer pool and partitioning the SLRU lock

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: SLRU optimization - configurable buffer pool and partitioning the SLRU lock
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2023-Nov-17, Dilip Kumar wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 3:11 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> >
> > I just noticed that 0003 does some changes to
> > TransactionGroupUpdateXidStatus() that haven't been adequately
> > explained AFAICS.  How do you know that these changes are safe?
>
> IMHO this is safe as well as logical to do w.r.t. performance.  It's
> safe because whenever we are updating any page in a group we are
> acquiring the respective bank lock in exclusive mode and in extreme
> cases if there are pages from different banks then we do switch the
> lock as well before updating the pages from different groups.

Looking at the coverage for this code,
https://coverage.postgresql.org/src/backend/access/transam/clog.c.gcov.html#413
it seems in our test suites we never hit the case where there is
anything in the "nextidx" field for commit groups.  To be honest, I
don't understand this group stuff, and so I'm doubly hesitant to go
without any testing here.  Maybe it'd be possible to use Michael
Paquier's injection points somehow?

I think in the code comments where you use "w.r.t.", that acronym can be
replaced with "for", which improves readability.

"All rings of power are equal,
But some rings of power are more equal than others."
                                 (George Orwell's The Lord of the Rings)