Re: SLRU optimization - configurable buffer pool and partitioning the SLRU lock

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: SLRU optimization - configurable buffer pool and partitioning the SLRU lock
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
In SlruSharedData, a new comment is added that starts:
  "Instead of global counter we maintain a bank-wise lru counter because ..."
You don't need to explain what we don't do.  Just explain what we do do.
So remove the words "Instead of a global counter" from there, because
they offer no wisdom.  Same with the phrase "so there is no point to ...".
I think "The oldest page is therefore" should say "The oldest page *in
the bank* is therefore", for extra clarity.

I wonder what's the deal with false sharing in the new
bank_cur_lru_count array.  Maybe instead of using LWLockPadded for
bank_locks, we should have a new struct, with both the LWLock and the
LRU counter; then pad *that* to the cacheline size.  This way, both the
lwlock and the counter come to the CPU running this code together.

Looking at SlruRecentlyUsed, which was a macro and is now a function.
The comment about "multiple evaluation of arguments" no longer applies,
so it needs to be removed; and it shouldn't talk about itself being a
macro.

Using "Size" as type for bank_mask looks odd.  For a bitmask, maybe it's
be more appropriate to use bits64 if we do need a 64-bit mask (we don't
have bits64, but it's easy to add a typedef).  I bet we don't really
need a 64 bit mask, and a 32-bit or even a 16-bit is sufficient, given
the other limitations on number of buffers.

I think SimpleLruReadPage should have this assert at start:

+   Assert(LWLockHeldByMe(SimpleLruGetSLRUBankLock(ctl, pageno)));

Do we really need one separate lwlock tranche for each SLRU?

"Cuando mañana llegue pelearemos segun lo que mañana exija" (Mowgli)