Re: Disk wait problem...

От pf@pfortin.com
Тема Re: Disk wait problem...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Peter,

All of the following is based on using SQL_workbench/J (WB)  (Mageia Linux
has not provided a viable pgAdmin4 package); WB is setup to autoload the
table row count and 10 rows. I'm sticking to one set of files where they
are all roughly 33.6M rows.

I've been doing a lot of digging and found more interesting info...

At first, I thought the disk was in disk wait the entire time of the
delay; this _appeared_ to be the case since the system journal logged
everything about each query, with every query looking the same; no errors.

I was going to provide some logs; but suffice it to say that the logs,
combined with running iostat every second has been enlightening...

Every time I switch from one table to another, sometimes the results
display in:
* less than a half-second
* one or more seconds
* up to 5+ minutes.
So far, none has failed to eventually return; just l..o..n..g delays...

This morning, I've been using iostat:
$ while true; do echo -n "$(date +%H:%M:%S)  "; iostat /dev/nvme1n1 |
grep nvme1n1; sleep 1; done

When the response is fast; I see iostat report ~225000 bytes read. On the
other hand when the query takes a long time to respond, I see the read
bytes spread over time...  a little every second...  So while htop
appears to report a steady D (disk wait) status, I now suspect the short
transfers are fast and most of the time, htop is going to catch the D
state.

It definitely appears to be a problem with the 4TB NVMe SSD drive which
utilities say it still has 95% life left[1].  The drive is reporting:
Error Information Log Entries:      1,177
which is growing, so I'll be digging into that.  It also reports:

Error Information (NVMe Log 0x01, 16 of 63 entries)
Num   ErrCount  SQId   CmdId  Status  PELoc          LBA  NSID    VS  Message
  0       1177     0  0xc002  0x4004      -            0     1     -  Invalid Field in Command
  1       1176     0  0xb001  0x4004      -            0     1     -  Invalid Field in Command
  2       1175     0  0x801a  0x4004      -            0     1     -  Invalid Field in Command
This list is not growing, so I'll look into it later than sooner.

A few moments ago, I decided to switch to the backup which resides on a
17TB mechanical platter drive which is running great.

[1] SSD drives wear out with usage; think of it as a vehicle tire which
slowly wears out.

Also found that there is a firmware update available from:
https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/

No idea if this will solve the problem; but...

Thanks for your suggestions.

Thought I saw there may be instrumentation within PG which I can access;
suggestions welcome if so...

Cheers,
Pierre