Re: pg_ctl start may return 0 even if the postmaster has been already started on Windows

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: pg_ctl start may return 0 even if the postmaster has been already started on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At Mon, 23 Oct 2023 08:57:19 +0000, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda.hayato@fujitsu.com> wrote in
> > I agree with your suggestion.  Ultimately, if there's a possibility
> > for this to be committed, the message will be consolidated to "could
> > not start server".
>
> Based on the suggestion, I tried to update the patch.
> A new argument is_valid is added for reporting callee. Also, reporting formats
> are adjusted based on other functions. How do you think?

An equivalent check is already done shortly afterward in the calling
function. Therefore, we can simply remove the code path for "launcher
shell died", and it will work the same way. Please find the attached.

Other error cases will fit to "shouldn't occur under normal
conditions" errors.

There is a possibility that the launcher shell terminates while
postmaster is running. Even in such a case, the server continue
working without any problems. I contemplated accomodating this case
but the effort required seemed disproportionate to the possibility.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center