Re: PostgreSQL inheritance vs https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Don%27t_Do_This

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: PostgreSQL inheritance vs https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Don%27t_Do_This
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2023-Oct-23, Achilleas Mantzios - cloud wrote:

> I believe this text is false on too many accounts. So, what's the consensus
> about Inheritance in PostgreSQL, I am going to give a talk on it in November
> and I wouldn't like to advertise/promote/teach something that the community
> has decided to abandon or drop. Actually I proposed several topics and they
> chose this one (Inheritance).

There are several things wrong with table inheritance; see [1] in our
docs, in addition to the things that the wiki page notes.  I think it's
good advice to stay clear of it, and if you're giving a talk, do not
talk about inheritance except to mention its drawbacks.  Regarding your
talk, I would strongly suggest to ask them to choose another topic from
your list.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/ddl-inherit.html#DDL-INHERIT-CAVEATS

"Investigación es lo que hago cuando no sé lo que estoy haciendo"
(Wernher von Braun)