Re: PostgreSQL inheritance vs https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Don%27t_Do_This

От Achilleas Mantzios
Тема Re: PostgreSQL inheritance vs https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Don%27t_Do_This
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Στις 23/10/23 17:01, ο/η Alvaro Herrera έγραψε:
> On 2023-Oct-23, Achilleas Mantzios - cloud wrote:
>
>> I believe this text is false on too many accounts. So, what's the consensus
>> about Inheritance in PostgreSQL, I am going to give a talk on it in November
>> and I wouldn't like to advertise/promote/teach something that the community
>> has decided to abandon or drop. Actually I proposed several topics and they
>> chose this one (Inheritance).
> There are several things wrong with table inheritance; see [1] in our
> docs, in addition to the things that the wiki page notes.  I think it's
> good advice to stay clear of it, and if you're giving a talk, do not
> talk about inheritance except to mention its drawbacks.  Regarding your
> talk, I would strongly suggest to ask them to choose another topic from
> your list.

Yes, those limitations are known, and must be dealt. The wiki IMHO is
aggressive and insulting plus the advice to use FK instead of
inheritance is at least laughable. I don't think there should be such an
official text on the official PostgreSQL site.

Thanks!

--
Achilleas Mantzios
  IT DEV - HEAD