Re: pg_ctl start may return 0 even if the postmaster has been already started on Windows

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: pg_ctl start may return 0 even if the postmaster has been already started on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thank you for testing this!

At Fri, 6 Oct 2023 12:28:32 +0530, Shlok Kyal <shlok.kyal.oss@gmail.com> wrote i> D:\project\pg_dev\bin>pg_ctl -D
../data-l data2.log start

> pg_ctl: another server might be running; trying to start server anyway
> waiting for server to start....pg_ctl: launcher shell died
>
> The output message after patch is different from the HEAD. I felt that
> with patch as well we should get the message  "pg_ctl: could not start
> server".
> Is this message change intentional?

Partly no, partly yes. My focus was on verifying the accuracy of
identifying the actual postmaster PID on Windows. The current patch
provides a detailed description of the events, primarily because I
lack a comprehensive understanding of both the behavior of Windows
APIs and the associated processes.  Given that context, the messages
essentially serve debugging purposes.

I agree with your suggestion.  Ultimately, if there's a possibility
for this to be committed, the message will be consolidated to "could
not start server".

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi