Re: Create shorthand for including all extra tests

От Noah Misch
Тема Re: Create shorthand for including all extra tests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 04, 2023 at 08:16:44PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> > On 4 Sep 2023, at 17:01, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81@gmail.com> writes:
> >> I created an 'all' option for PG_TEST_EXTRA to enable all test suites
> >> defined under PG_TEST_EXTRA.
> >
> > I think this is a seriously bad idea.  The entire point of not including
> > certain tests in check-world by default is that the omitted tests are
> > security hazards, so a developer or buildfarm owner should review each
> > one before deciding whether to activate it on their machine.
>
> I dunno, I've certainly managed to not run the tests I hoped to multiple times.
> I think it could be useful for sandboxed testrunners which are destroyed after
> each run. There is for sure a foot-gun angle to it, no question about that.

Other than PG_TEST_EXTRA=wal_consistency_checking, they have the same hazard:
they treat the loopback interface as private, so anyone with access to
loopback interface ports can hijack the test.  I'd be fine with e.g.
PG_TEST_EXTRA=private-lo activating all of those.  We don't gain by inviting
the tester to review the tests to rediscover this common factor.