Re: DROP DATABASE is interruptible

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: DROP DATABASE is interruptible
Дата
Re: DROP DATABASE is interruptible  (Alexander Lakhin <exclusion@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-07-12 11:54:18 +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

> >> I don't see any pg_upgrade test in the patch?
> >
> > Oops, I stashed them alongside some unrelated changes... Included this time.
>
> Looking more at this I wonder if we in HEAD should make this a bit nicer by
> extending the --check phase to catch this?  I did a quick hack along these
> lines in the 0003 commit attached here (0001 and 0002 are your unchanged
> patches, just added for consistency and to be CFBot compatible).  If done it
> could be a separate commit to make the 0002 patch backport cleaner of course.

I don't really have an opinion on that, tbh...

> >> +    errhint("Use DROP DATABASE to drop invalid databases"));
> >> Should end with a period as a complete sentence?
> >
> > I get confused about this every time. It's not helped by this example in
> > sources.sgml:
> >
> > <programlisting>
> > Primary:    could not create shared memory segment: %m
> > Detail:     Failed syscall was shmget(key=%d, size=%u, 0%o).
> > Hint:       the addendum
> > </programlisting>
> >
> > Which notably does not use punctuation for the hint. But indeed, later we say:
> >   <para>
> >    Detail and hint messages: Use complete sentences, and end each with
> >    a period.  Capitalize the first word of sentences.  Put two spaces after
> >    the period if another sentence follows (for English text; might be
> >    inappropriate in other languages).
> >   </para>
>
> That's not a very helpful example, and one which may give the wrong impression
> unless the entire page is read.  I've raised this with a small diff to improve
> it on -docs.

Thanks for doing that!

> > Updated patches attached.
>
> This version of the patchset LGTM.

Backpatching indeed was no fun. Not having BackgroundPsql.pm was the worst
part. But also a lot of other conflicts in tests... Took me 5-6 hours or
so.
But I now finally pushed the fixes. Hope the buildfarm agrees with it...

Thanks for the review!

Greetings,

Andres Freund