Re: Doc: Rework contrib appendix -- informative titles, tweaked sentences

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Doc: Rework contrib appendix -- informative titles, tweaked sentences
Дата
Re: Doc: Rework contrib appendix -- informative titles, tweaked sentences  ("Karl O. Pinc" <kop@karlpinc.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2023-Jan-02, Karl O. Pinc wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Attached is a patch: contrib_v1.patch
>
> It modifies Appendix F, the contrib directory.
>
> It adds brief text into the titles shown in the
> table of contents so it's easier to tell what
> each module does.  It also suffixes [trusted] or [obsolete]
> on the relevant titles.

This looks a good idea to me.  I'm not 100% sold on having the "trusted"
or "obsolete" marker on the titles themselves, though.  Not sure what
alternative do we have, though, other than leave them out completely.

There's a typo "equalivent" in two places.

In passwordcheck, I would say just "check for weak passwords" or maybe
"verify password strength".

pg_buffercache is missing.  Maybe "-- inspect state of the Postgres
buffer cache".

For pg_stat_statements I suggest "track statistics of planning and
execution of SQL queries"

For sepgsql, as I understand it is strictly SELinux based, not just
"-like".  So this needs rewording: "label-based, SELinux-like, mandatory
access control".  Maybe "SELinux-based implementation of mandatory
access control for row-level security".

xml -- typo "qeurying"

> The sentences describing what the modules are and how
> to build them have been reworked.  Some split in 2,
> some words removed or replaced, etc.
>
> I introduced the word "component" because the appendix
> has build instructions for command line programs as well
> as extensions and libraries loaded with shared_preload_libraries().
> This involved removing most occurrences of the word
> "module", although it is left in the section title.

I haven't read this part yet.

"But static content is just dynamic content that isn't moving!"
                http://smylers.hates-software.com/2007/08/15/fe244d0c.html

Сообщение: Re: Logical replication timeout problem
Сообщение: Re: Logical replication timeout problem