Re: How to store "blobs" efficiently for small and large sizes, with random access

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: How to store "blobs" efficiently for small and large sizes, with random access
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2022-Oct-19, Dominique Devienne wrote:

> Anybody has an answer to my question regarding how substr() works on
> bytea values?  I.e. is it "pushed down" / optimized enough that it
> avoids reading the whole N-byte value, to then pass it to substr(),
> which then returns an M-byte value (where M < N)?
>
> If TOAST stores 2,000 chunks, and those chunks' PKs are numbers,
> simple arithmetic should be able to select only the chunks of
> interest, those incurring only the necessary IO for the selected
> range, no?

That's exactly what I was trying to say.  If there's no compression, we
don't read prior chunks.  (This is valid for bytea, at least; for
textual types we have to worry about multibyte characters, which are
again a potential source of confusion regarding the exact location you
want to seek.)

This can be seen in detoast_attr_slice() in
src/backend/access/common/detoast.c, though there are way too many^W^W^W
multiple layers of indirection if you start from bytea_substr() in
varlena.c.