Re: v15rc2(/v15rc1/v15b4) shadowbuild fails when using src from symlink

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: v15rc2(/v15rc1/v15b4) shadowbuild fails when using src from symlink
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On 2022-Oct-07, Michael Paquier wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 06, 2022 at 06:57:53PM +0200, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Yeah, nobody has claimed to have fixed this, so this is not surprising.
> > You didn't reply to Michael's reply to your previous report; any
> > thoughts on that?
> >
> > Maybe if you propose a fix, we can discuss it.
>
> FWIW, if that proves to be simple, perhaps there is a point in doing
> it.  However, we also need to take into account that this would be
> unstressed by the buildfarm.

Agreed, getting a supporting buildfarm animal set up would be an
important step if we wanted to accept such a patch.

> And there is also an extra factor to think about here: meson.  The
> tool only supports VPATH-like builds, which is what Frank is doing,
> and a quick test shows me that it is possible to specify a link to the
> source folder in the meson command (last argument of the meson
> command), which is also something Frank does here.

Ah!  So maybe a more convenient way forward is to reject any patch for
adding support for this in autoconf, and tell Frank to use our Meson
build instead.  (Not available until 16, but of course so would be the
case with whatever patches he came up with at this point.)

Our autoconf build system is on the way out anyway: even if it's not to
be removed in the near future, ISTM the writing is now in the stone that
it'll eventually be gone.  So adding a new feature is likely a waste of
time.

"You don't solve a bad join with SELECT DISTINCT" #CupsOfFail
https://twitter.com/connor_mc_d/status/1431240081726115845

Сообщение: Re: v15rc2(/v15rc1/v15b4) shadowbuild fails when using src from symlink
Сообщение: Re: v15rc2(/v15rc1/v15b4) shadowbuild fails when using src from symlink