Re: [Commitfest 2022-07] Patch Triage: Needs Review, Part 1

От Julien Rouhaud
Тема Re: [Commitfest 2022-07] Patch Triage: Needs Review, Part 1
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Jacob,

On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 10:08:08AM -0700, Jacob Champion wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 11:38 PM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > - Add extra statistics to explain for Nested Loop
> > >   https://commitfest.postgresql.org/38/2765/
> > >
> > > [...]
> >
> > As I mentioned in [1], this patch breaks the current assumption that
> > INSTRUMENT_ALL will lead to statement-level metrics that are generally useful.
> > According to the benchmark, the proposed patch would add a 1.5% overhead for
> > pg_stat_statements or any other similar extension that relies on INSTRUMENT_ALL
> > for no additional information, and I don't think it's acceptable.
>
> (I'm missing the [1] link.)

Ah sorry I forgot to include it, here it's:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20220307050830.zahd57wbvezu2d6r%40jrouhaud.

>From skimming the end of the thread, it
> looks like Ekaterina responded to that concern and was hoping for
> feedback. If you still think it doesn't go far enough, would you mind
> dropping a note in the thread? Then we can mark WoA and go from there.

I think that the problem still exist, unfortunately the benchmark done only
tests various EXPLAIN commands and not normal query execution with pgss
enabled.  I will double check and reply on the thread tomorrow!