Re: pg_upgrade test writes to source directory

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: pg_upgrade test writes to source directory
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-06-01 16:11:16 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 31.05.22 09:17, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > On Sat, May 28, 2022 at 04:14:01PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > > Yeah, I'd noticed the obsoleted comments too, but not bothered to complain
> > > since that was just WIP and not an officially proposed patch.  I'll be
> > > happy to review if you want to put up a full patch.
> > Well, here is a formal patch set, then.  Please feel free to comment.
> >
> > FWIW, I am on the fence with dropping TESTDIR, as it could be used by
> > out-of-core test code as well.  If there are doubts about
> > back-patching the first part, doing that only on HEAD would be fine to
> > fix the problem of this thread.
>
> I don't understand the point of this first patch at all.  Why define
> TESTOUTDIR as a separate variable if it's always TESTDIR + tmp_check? Why
> define TESTOUTDIR in pg_regress invocations, if nothing uses it?  If you
> want it as a separate variable, it could be defined in some Per utility
> module, but I don't see why it needs to be in Makefile.global. What is the
> problem that this is trying to solve?

Until recently TESTDIR needed to point to the build directory containing the
binaries. But I'd like to be able to separate test log output from the build
tree, so that it's easier to capture files generated by tests for CI /
buildfarm. The goal is to have a separate directory for each test, so we can
present logs for failed tests separately. That was impossible with TESTDIR,
because it needed to point to the build directory.

Greetings,

Andres Freund