Re: PostgreSQL Limits: maximum number of columns in SELECT result

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Limits: maximum number of columns in SELECT result
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2022-May-31, Tom Lane wrote:

> Detail is far from "free".  Most readers are going to spend more time
> wondering what the difference is between "columns per table" and "columns
> per tuple", and which limit applies when, than they are going to save by
> having the docs present them with two inconsistent numbers.

I think it's reasonable to have two adjacent rows in the table for these
two closely related things, but rather than "columns per tuple" I would
label the second one "columns in a result set".  This is easy enough to
understand and to differentiate from the other limit.

(Replacing "in a" with "per" sounds OK to me but less natural, not sure
why.)

"The Gord often wonders why people threaten never to come back after they've
been told never to return" (www.actsofgord.com)