Re: fairywren is generating bogus BASE_BACKUP commands

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: fairywren is generating bogus BASE_BACKUP commands
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-01-21 17:42:45 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > c.f. src/bin/pg_verifybackup/t/003_corruption.pl which says:
> >     my $source_ts_prefix = $source_ts_path;
> >     $source_ts_prefix =~ s!(^[A-Z]:/[^/]*)/.*!$1!;
>
> >     # See https://www.msys2.org/wiki/Porting/#filesystem-namespaces
> >     local $ENV{MSYS2_ARG_CONV_EXCL} = $source_ts_prefix;
>
> > Probably in this case just setting it to 'server:' would do the trick.
>
> The point I was trying to make is that if we have to jump through
> that sort of hoop in the test scripts, then real users are going
> to have to jump through it as well, and they won't like that
> (and we will get bug reports about it).  It'd be better to design
> the option syntax to avoid such requirements.

Normal users aren't going to invoke a "native" basebackup from inside msys. I
assume the translation happens because an "msys world" perl invokes
a "native" pg_basebackup via msys system(), right?  If pg_basebackup instead is
"normally" invoked from a windows terminal, or anything else "native" windows,
the problem won't exist, no?

As we're building a "native" postgres in this case, none of our tools should
internally have such translations happening. So I don't think it'll be a huge
issue for users themselves?

Not that I think that there are all that many users of mingw built postgres on
windows... I think it's mostly msvc built postgres in that world?

Greetings,

Andres Freund