Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication
Дата
Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication  (Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2021-Dec-13, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> I think this means we need a new OBJECT_PUBLICATION_REL_COLUMN value in
> the ObjectType (paralelling OBJECT_COLUMN), and no new ObjectClass
> value.  Looking now to confirm.

After working on this a little bit more, I realized that this is a bad
idea overall.  It causes lots of complications and it's just not worth
it.  So I'm back at my original thought that we need to throw an ERROR
at ALTER TABLE .. DROP COLUMN time if the column is part of a
replication column filter, and suggest the user to remove the column
from the filter first and reattempt the DROP COLUMN.

This means that we need to support changing the column list of a table
in a publication.  I'm looking at implementing some form of ALTER
PUBLICATION for that.

"Find a bug in a program, and fix it, and the program will work today.
Show the program how to find and fix a bug, and the program
will work forever" (Oliver Silfridge)