Re: Rewriting the test of pg_upgrade as a TAP test - take three - remastered set

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Rewriting the test of pg_upgrade as a TAP test - take three - remastered set
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2021-10-02 23:34:38 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On 10/2/21 5:03 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> IIUC, the only problem for a non-updated animal would be that it'd
> >> run the test twice?  Or would it actually fail?  If the latter,
> >> we'd need to sit on the patch rather longer.
>
> > The patch removes test.sh, so yes it would break.
>
> Maybe we could leave test.sh in place for awhile?  I'd rather
> not cause a flag day for buildfarm owners.  (Also, how do we
> see this working in the back branches?)

Seems like we might get away with making make -C contrib/pg_upgrade check and
vcregress.pl upgradecheck do nothing?

For the common case of not testing cross-version stuff, pg_upgrade's tests
would just be invoked via run_build.pl:run_bin_tests(). And TestUpgrade.pm
should be fine with a test doing nothing.

We'd not loose coverage with non-updated BF animals unless they have tap tests
disabled. Just the cross-version test would need timely work by buildfarm
operators - but I think Andrew could deal with that.

Greetings,

Andres Freund