Re: Can we get rid of repeated queries from pg_dump?

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Can we get rid of repeated queries from pg_dump?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Greetings,

* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> > On Thu, 2021-08-26 at 18:06 +0200, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> >> In total, there were 5000 queries:
> >> SELECT pg_catalog.format_type('[0-9]+'::pg_catalog.oid, NULL)
> >> But there were only 83 separate oids that were scanned.
>
> > That is a strong argument for using a hash table to cache the types.
>
> Those queries are coming from getFormattedTypeName(), which is used
> for function arguments and the like.  I'm not quite sure why Hubert
> is seeing 5000 such calls in a database with only ~100 functions;
> surely they don't all have an average of 50 arguments?
>
> I experimented with the attached, very quick-n-dirty patch to collect
> format_type results during the initial scan of pg_type, instead.  On the
> regression database in HEAD, it reduces the number of queries pg_dump
> issues from 3260 to 2905; but I'm having a hard time detecting any net
> performance change.

Seems like the issue here is mainly just the latency of each query being
rather high compared to most use-cases, so local testing where there's
basically zero latency wouldn't see any change in timing, but throw a
trans-atlantic or worse amount of latency between the system running
pg_dump and the PG server and you'd see notable wall-clock savings in
time.

Only took a quick look but generally +1 on reducing the number of
queries that pg_dump is doing and the changes suggested looked good to
me.

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения