Re: Can we get rid of repeated queries from pg_dump?

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Can we get rid of repeated queries from pg_dump?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 8/27/21 2:23 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
>> On Thu, 2021-08-26 at 18:06 +0200, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
>>> In total, there were 5000 queries:
>>> SELECT pg_catalog.format_type('[0-9]+'::pg_catalog.oid, NULL)
>>> But there were only 83 separate oids that were scanned.
>
>> That is a strong argument for using a hash table to cache the types.
>
> Those queries are coming from getFormattedTypeName(), which is used
> for function arguments and the like.  I'm not quite sure why Hubert
> is seeing 5000 such calls in a database with only ~100 functions;
> surely they don't all have an average of 50 arguments?

Could be.

 From the stats post:

"Based on my reading of queries in order it seems to follow the pattern of:

One call for:

SELECT  proretset,  prosrc,  probin,  provolatile,  proisstrict,
prosecdef,  lanname,  proconfig,  procost,  prorows,
pg_catalog.pg_get_function_arguments(p.oid) AS funcargs,
pg_catalog.pg_get_function_identity_arguments(p.oid) AS funciargs,
pg_catalog.pg_get_function_re
sult(p.oid) AS funcresult,  proleakproof,  array_to_string(protrftypes,
' ') AS protrftypes,  proparallel,  prokind,  prosupport,  NULL AS
prosqlbody  FROM pg_catalog.pg_proc p, pg_catalog.pg_language l  WHERE
p.oid = 'SOME_NUMBER'::pg_catalog.oid AND l.oid = p.prolang

and then one or more:

SELECT pg_catalog.format_type('SOME_NUMBER'::pg_catalog.oid, NULL)

In one case, after proc query, there were 94 concecutive
pg_catalog.format_type queries.
"

--
Adrian Klaver