Re: Deparsing rewritten query

От Julien Rouhaud
Тема Re: Deparsing rewritten query
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 11:14:05AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Agreed.  One the other hand having such a function in core may ensure that any
> > significant change in those area will keep an API to retrieve the final query
> > representation.
>
> My point is precisely that I'm unwilling to make such a promise.
>
> I do not buy that this capability is worth very much, given that
> we've gotten along fine without it for twenty-plus years.  If you
> want to have it as an internal, might-change-at-any-time API,
> that seems all right.

I'm totally fine with a might-change-at-any-time API, but not with a
might-disappear-at-anytime API.  If exposing get_query_def() can become
virtually useless in a few releases with no hope to get required in-core change
for retrieving the final query representation, I agree this we can stop the
discussion here.