Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 12:50 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

>> > +1.  That would be good to have in the release notes.

>> > Segment files or WAL files larger than 4GB also gain from that.
>> > Anything for which we may finish to do a stat() on benefits from this
>> > change if running on Windows.  For pg_dump, a workaround in PG <= 13
>> > was to use --no-sync as the stat() failure came from files with a size
>> > larger than 4GB.  That's rather sad as that means sacrifying
>> > durability for more usability :(
>>
>> OK, I went with this text and put it in the Source Code section since it
>> applies to several layers of Postgres.
>
> Thanks!
>
> I got the parse error after applying the patch:
>
> release-14.sgml:3562: parser error : Input is not proper UTF-8,
> indicate encoding !
>         (Juan Jos Santamara Flecha)
>                  ^
>
> Is that a problem with my environment?

Me too. I think the problem is, Bruce's patch is encoded in
ISO-8859-1, not UTF-8. As far as I know PostgreSQL never encodes
*.sgml files in ISO-8859-1. Anyway, attached is the Bruce's patch
encoded in UTF-8. This works for me.

My guess is, when Bruce attached the file, his MUA automatically
changed the file encoding from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1 (it could happen in
many MUA). Also that's the reason why he does not see the problem
while compiling the sgml files. In his environment release-14.sgml is
encoded in UTF-8, I guess. To prevent the problem next time, it's
better to change the mime type of the attached file to
Application/Octet-Stream.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Optionally automatically disable logical replication subscriptions on error
Сообщение: Re: Optionally automatically disable logical replication subscriptions on error