Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 11:37:58AM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> Some more:
>
> | VACUUM now has a PROCESS_TOAST which can be set to false to disable TOAST processing, and vacuumdb has a
--no-process-toastoption.

> has a process_toast *option

Agreed.

> | Previously, if the object already exists, EXPLAIN would fail.
> already existed

Fixed.

> | Function pg_stat_reset_replication_slot() resets slot statistics.
> *The function.  But maybe it should be omitted.

OK, I went with "The function".

> | New options are read-only, primary, standby, and prefer-standby.
> *The new options

Agreed.

> | Allow reindexdb to change the tablespace of the new index (Michael Paquier)
> | This is done by specifying --tablespace.
> I think this should be merged with the corresponding server feature, like this one:
> |Add ability to skip vacuuming of TOAST tables (Nathan Bossart)
> |VACUUM now has a PROCESS_TOAST which can be set to false to disable TOAST processing, and vacuumdb has a
--no-process-toastoption.

> Or, the client-side option could be omitted.  This is distinguished from
> vacuumdb --no-index-cleanup and --no-truncate, for which the server support was
> added in v12, and the client support was essentially an omision.

I am inclined to mention reindexdb because we mention the SQL command
option in the text.  Here is the updated text:

         <listitem>
    <!--
    Author: Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>
    2021-02-04 [c5b286047] Add TABLESPACE option to REINDEX
    Author: Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>
    2021-03-03 [57e6db706] Add - -tablespace option to reindexdb
    -->

          <para>
           to change the tablespace of the new index (Alexey Kondratov,
           Michael Paquier, Justin Pryzby)
          </para>

          <para>
           This is done by specifying a <literal>TABLESPACE</literal> clause.
           A <option>--tablespace</option> option was also added to <link
           linkend="app-reindexdb"><application>reindexdb</application></link>
           to control this.
         </listitem>

> | Add documentation for the factorial() function (Peter Eisentraut)
> | With the removal of the ! operator in this release, factorial() is the only built-in way to compute a factorial.
> Could be ommited or collapsed into the other item.  I know Tom thinks that
> it's unnecesary to document changes to documentation.

Uh, I think we need both items.  We are removing a feature and asking
people to use an existing feature that was previously undocumented.  I
think having two items makes it clear that the feature existed in
previous releases.  I just tried merging them into one item and there
were just too many changes for it to be clear.