Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 10:45:51PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> | Add Set Server Name Indication (SNI) for SSL connection packets (Peter Eisentraut)
> Remove "Set"
>
> | Reduce the default value of vacuum_cost_page_miss from 10 milliseconds to 2 (Peter Geoghegan)
> Peter mentioned that this should not say "milliseconds" (but maybe the page I'm
> looking at is old).
>
> | Cause vacuum operations to be aggressive if the table is near xid or multixact wraparound (Masahiko Sawada, Peter
Geoghegan)

> Say "become aggressive" ?
>
> |  Allow the arbitrary collations of partition boundary values (Tom Lane)
> Remove "the"
>
> | Generate WAL invalidations message during command completion when using logical replication (Dilip Kumar, Tomas
Vondra,Amit Kapila)

> invalidation messages
>
> |  Add support for infinity and -infinity values to the numeric data type (Tom Lane)
> "-infinity" has markup but not "infinity" ?
>
> | Allow vacuum to deallocate space reserved by trailing unused heap line pointers (Matthias van de Meent, Peter
Geoghegan)

> say "reclaim space" ?

Some more:

| VACUUM now has a PROCESS_TOAST which can be set to false to disable TOAST processing, and vacuumdb has a
--no-process-toastoption.

has a process_toast *option

| Previously, if the object already exists, EXPLAIN would fail.
already existed

| Function pg_stat_reset_replication_slot() resets slot statistics.
*The function.  But maybe it should be omitted.

| New options are read-only, primary, standby, and prefer-standby.
*The new options

| Allow reindexdb to change the tablespace of the new index (Michael Paquier)
| This is done by specifying --tablespace.
I think this should be merged with the corresponding server feature, like this one:
|Add ability to skip vacuuming of TOAST tables (Nathan Bossart)
|VACUUM now has a PROCESS_TOAST which can be set to false to disable TOAST processing, and vacuumdb has a
--no-process-toastoption.

Or, the client-side option could be omitted.  This is distinguished from
vacuumdb --no-index-cleanup and --no-truncate, for which the server support was
added in v12, and the client support was essentially an omision.

| Add documentation for the factorial() function (Peter Eisentraut)
| With the removal of the ! operator in this release, factorial() is the only built-in way to compute a factorial.
Could be ommited or collapsed into the other item.  I know Tom thinks that
it's unnecesary to document changes to documentation.

--
Justin

От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: recent failures on lorikeet
От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: recent failures on lorikeet