Re: Does btrfs on Linux have a negative performance impact for PostgreSQL 13?

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: Does btrfs on Linux have a negative performance impact for PostgreSQL 13?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 06:27:08PM +0000, Simon Connah wrote:
> I'm curious, really. I use btrfs as my filesystem on my home systems and am setting up a server as I near releasing
myproject. I planned to use btrfs on the server, but it got me thinking about PostgreSQL 13. Does anyone know if it
wouldhave a major performance impact?

Is there some reason the question is specific to postgres13 , or did you just
say that because it's your development target for your project.

I think it almost certainly depends more on your project than on postgres 13.

It may well be that performance is better under btrfs, maybe due to compression
or COW.  But you'd have to test what you're doing to find out - and maybe write
up the results.

Also, it's very possible that btfs performs better for (say) report queries,
but worse for data loading.  Maybe you care more about reporting, but that's
not true for everyone.

--
Justin

От: Simon Connah
Сообщение: Does btrfs on Linux have a negative performance impact for PostgreSQL 13?
От: Christophe Pettus
Сообщение: Re: Does btrfs on Linux have a negative performance impact for PostgreSQL 13?