Re: Do we need a way to moderate mailing lists?

От Peter J. Holzer
Тема Re: Do we need a way to moderate mailing lists?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2021-01-17 21:25:29 +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día domingo, enero 17, 2021 a las 12:23:23p. m. -0700, David G. Johnston escribió:
>
> > Its 2021;
>
> Yes, and for what this argument is good for? Is 2021 better than 2020 or
> even worth?

It's not about being better, but about what infrastructure or
capabilities you can expect.

In 1990, MIME didn't exist. E-Mail was by definition US-ASCII text
(except for uuencode or by private arrangement). People often used text
terminals and may not have any Internet access.

In 2000, MIME existed, some MUAs supported HTML (at quite different
levels), most people who had Email also had Internet (though they might
not stay online while reading mail to save phone costs) and they would
typically read mail on a bitmapped display (though possibly in a
terminal emulator).

In 2021, MIME is actually implemented correctly in most MUAs, HTML/CSS
is very widely supported (but not nearly at the level supported by
browsers), most people (well, their devices) are online 24x7, and
terminal emulators are still a thing (I write this in vim called from
mutt in an xterm). Oh, and any bandwidth wasted by HTML or images is
negligible compared to cat videos. OTOH, they might read the mail on a
device with a very small screen and an atrocious "keyboard". Or use a
MUA which can't quote correctly.

So my expectations on what a recipient can or cannot read or how they
can format their mails are somewhat different than they were in 1990 or
2000 or 2010. They will again be different in 2030.

> > if an image is useful for the topic at hand (say designing a
> > system and having a diagram showing that design) then that image should be
> > allowed.
>
> If someone needs really an image to show a problem, it can be put on
> some server and the link could be posted, like this one showing a PANIC
> of a system http://www.unixarea.de/fbsd-panic-20210110.jpg

That has the disadvantage of not being archived.

        hp

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Do we need a way to moderate mailing lists?
Сообщение: Re: Do we need a way to moderate mailing lists?