Re: [Patch] Optimize dropping of relation buffers using dlist

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: [Patch] Optimize dropping of relation buffers using dlist
Дата
Re: [Patch] Optimize dropping of relation buffers using dlist  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
At Wed, 9 Dec 2020 16:27:30 +0530, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote in
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 6:32 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
> <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > At Tue, 8 Dec 2020 16:28:41 +0530, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote in

didn'taccess those TOAST relfilenodes because the inserted data was stored in the main storage.  But TRUNCATE always
truncatesall the three relfilenodes.  So, the standby had not opened the relfilenode for the TOAST stuff or cached its
sizewhen replaying the TRUNCATE.

goodidea to use the cached flag.

> > > I also can't think of a way to use an optimized path for such cases
> > > but I don't agree with your comment on if it is common enough that we
> > > leave this optimization entirely for the truncate path.
> >
> > Mmm. At least btree doesn't need to call smgrnblocks except at
> > expansion, so we cannot get to the optimized path in major cases of
> > truncation involving btree (and/or maybe other indexes).
> >

> AFAICS, btree insert should call smgrnblocks via
> btree_xlog_insert->XLogReadBufferForRedo->XLogReadBufferForRedoExtended->XLogReadBufferExtended->smgrnblocks.
> Similarly delete should also call smgrnblocks. Can you be bit more
> specific related to the btree case you have in mind?

Oh, sorry. I wrongly looked to non-recovery path. smgrnblocks is
called during buffer loading while recovery. So, smgrnblock is called
for indexes if any update happens on the heap relation.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center