Re: please update ps display for recovery checkpoint

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: please update ps display for recovery checkpoint
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 02, 2020 at 04:28:14PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > Related: I have always thought that this message meant "recovery will complete
> > Real Soon", but I now understand it to mean "beginning the recovery checkpoint,
> > which is flagged CHECKPOINT_IMMEDIATE" (and may take a long time).
>
> Yep.  And at the end of crash recovery seconds feel like minutes.
>
> I agree that "checkpointer checkpoint" is not the best fit.  Using
> parenthesis would also be inconsistent with the other usages of this
> API in the backend code.

I think maybe I got the idea for parenthesis from these:
src/backend/tcop/postgres.c:                            set_ps_display("idle in transaction (aborted)");
src/backend/postmaster/postmaster.c-    if (port->remote_port[0] != '\0')
src/backend/postmaster/postmaster.c-            appendStringInfo(&ps_data, "(%s)", port->remote_port);

>  What about adding "running" then?  This
> would give "checkpointer running end-of-recovery checkpoint".

What about one of these?
"checkpointer: running end-of-recovery checkpoint"
"checkpointer running: end-of-recovery checkpoint"

Thanks for looking.

--
Justin