Re: Version 13 documentation layout is harder to read than version 12

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Version 13 documentation layout is harder to read than version 12
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 09:52:31AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> > Compare:
> > * https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/functions-json.html
> > * https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/functions-json.html
>
> > I know it is just my opinion, but the version 12 layout is easier to read
> > than version 13.
>
> IMO, table 9.47 (JSON Processing Functions) is pretty much the poster
> child for why we had to redesign the table layout.  In the old layout,
> it's close to unreadable in any normal-size browser window, despite
> wasting lots of whitespace and having large amounts of important info
> shuffled off into "Note" blocks.  The new layout is far more adaptable
> to viewing windows that aren't full-screen-width; and the "Note" text has
> all been merged into the table, so that you don't have to scroll down and
> back to find all the info about a function.
>
> I'll concede that it's a bit of a shock at first if you are used to the
> old layout.  But the developer community has been looking at this format
> for six months or so now, and I think people grew accustomed to it fairly
> quickly.

I think the issue is that the PG 12 format is easier to scan a single
column, while the PG 13 format is easier to read.

Сообщение: Re: Version 13 documentation layout is harder to read than version 12
Сообщение: RE: Version 13 documentation layout is harder to read than version 12