Re: logtape.c stats don't account for unused "prefetched" block numbers

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: logtape.c stats don't account for unused "prefetched" block numbers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2020-Sep-14, Peter Geoghegan wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 6:37 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> > It would be awkward if we just used nBlocksWritten within
> > LogicalTapeSetBlocks() in the case where we didn't preallocate (or in
> > all cases). Not entirely sure what to do about that just yet.
>
> I guess that that's the logical thing to do, as in the attached patch.

I don't understand this patch.  Or maybe I should say I don't understand
the code you're patching.  Why isn't the correct answer *always*
nBlocksWritten?  The comment in LogicalTapeSet says:

"nBlocksWritten is the size of the underlying file, in BLCKSZ blocks."

so if LogicalTapeSetBlocks wants to do what its comment says, that is,

"Obtain total disk space currently used by a LogicalTapeSet, in blocks."

then it seems like they're an exact match.  Either that, or more than
zero of those comments are lying.