Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..."

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..."
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 4:09 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 8:25 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
> > wrote:
> > > I don't think that it necessarily has to be. As long as we're talking
> > about adding something and not actually changing their existing packages,
> > getting this into both yum and apt shouldn't be *that* hard, if it's
> > coordinated well with Christoph and Devrim (obviously that's based on my
> > experience and they will have to give a more complete answer themselves).
> > It would be a lot more complicated if it involved changing an existing
> > package.
> >
> > I mean, you presumably could not move pg_resetwal to this new package
> > in existing branches, right?
>
> Probably and eventually. But that can be done for 14+ (or 13+ depending on
> how "done" the packaging is there -- we should just make sure that hits the
> biggest platform in the same release).

Considering we just got rid of the -contrib independent package on at
least Debian-based systems, it doesn't really seem likely that the
packagers are going to be anxious to create a new one- they are not
without costs.

Also, in such dire straits as this thread is contemplating, I would
think we'd *really* like to have access to these tools with as small an
amount of change as absolutely possible to the system: what if
pg_extension itself got munged and we aren't able to install this new
contrib module, for example?

I would suggest that, instead, we make this part of core, but have it be
in a relatively clearly marked special schema that isn't part of
search_path by default- eg: pg_hacks, or pg_dirty_hands (I kinda like
the latter though it seems a bit unprofessional for us).

I'd also certainly be in support of having a contrib module with the
same functions that's independent from core and available and able to be
installed on pre-v14 systems.  I'd further support having another repo
that's "core maintained" or however we want to phrase it which includes
this proposed module (and possibly all of contrib) and which has a
different release cadence and requirements for what gets into it, has
its own packages, etc.

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения