Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 01:53:05PM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 1:36 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > 12      28164.865 ms
> >
> > fast ssd:
> > HEAD    92520.680 ms
> >
> > magnetic:
> > HEAD    183968.538 ms
> >
> > (no reads, there's plenty enough memory. Just writes because the age /
> > amount thresholds for dirty data are reached)
> >
> > In the magnetic case we're IO bottlenecked nearly the whole time.
>
> I agree with almost everything you've said on this thread, but at the
> same time I question the emphasis on I/O here. You've shown that
> spinning rust is about twice as slow as a fast SSD here. Fair enough,
> but to me the real story is that spilling is clearly a lot slower in
> general, regardless of how fast the storage subsystem happens to be (I
> wonder how fast it is with a ramdisk). To me, it makes more sense to

This blog entry shows ORDER BY using ram disk, SSD, and magnetic:

    https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2012.html#February_2_2012

It is from 2012, but I can re-run the test if you want.

Сообщение: Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk
Сообщение: Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk