Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 02:11:57PM +1200, David Rowley wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 at 08:24, Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
> > Another way of looking at it is that the weird behavior is already
> > there in v12, so there are already users relying on this weird behavior
> > as a crutch for some other planner mistake. The question is whether we
> > want to:

Yea - "behavior change" is a scenario for which it's hard to anticipate well
all the range of consequences.

> How about:
>
> enable_hashagg = "on" -- enables hashagg allowing it to freely spill
> to disk as it pleases.
> enable_hashagg = "trynospill" -- Planner will only choose hash_agg if
> it thinks it won't spill (pre PG13 planner behaviour)
> enable_hashagg = "neverspill" -- executor will *never* spill to disk
> and can still OOM (NOT RECOMMENDED, but does give pre PG13 planner and
> executor behaviour)
> enable_hashagg = "off" -- planner does not consider hash agg, ever.
> Same as what PG12 did for this setting.

+1

I like that this allows the new behavior as an *option* one *can* use rather
than a "behavior change" which is imposed on users and which users then *have*
to accomodate in postgres.

--
Justin

Сообщение: Re: Threading in BGWorkers (!)
Сообщение: Re: Threading in BGWorkers (!)