Re: password_encryption default

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: password_encryption default
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> >> I'm +1 for changing both of these things as soon as we branch for v14,
> >> but I feel like it's a bit late for v13.  If we aren't feature-frozen
> >> now, when will we be?
>
> > I really don't consider changing of defaults to be on the same level as
> > implementation of whole features, even if changing those defaults
> > requires a few lines of code to go with the change.
>
> The buildfarm fiasco with 09f08930f should remind us that changing
> defaults *does* break things, even if theoretically it shouldn't.
> At this phase of the v13 cycle, we should be looking to fix bugs,
> not to break more stuff.

Sure it does- for the special case of the buildfarm, and that takes
buildfarm code to fix.  Having users make changes to whatever scripts
they're using with PG between major versions is certainly not
unreasonable, or even between beta and final.  These things are not set
in stone at this point, they're the defaults, and it's beta time now,
not post release or RC.

If it breaks for regular users who are using the system properly then we
want to know about that and we'd ideally like to get that fixed before
the release.

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения