Re: password_encryption default

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: password_encryption default
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 4:13 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > > We didn't get anywhere with making the default authentication method in
> > > a source build anything other than trust.  But perhaps we should change
> > > the default for password_encryption to nudge people to adopt SCRAM?
> > > Right now, passwords are still hashed using MD5 by default, unless you
> > > specify scram-sha-256 using initdb -A or similar.
> >
> > I think what that was waiting on was for client libraries to become
> > SCRAM-ready.  Do we have an idea of the state of play on that side?
> >

> If the summary table on the wiki at
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/List_of_drivers is to be trusted, every
> listed driver except Swift does.

Yes, Katz actually went through and worked with folks to make that
happen.  I'm +1 on moving the default for password_encryption to be
scram.  Even better would be changing the pg_hba.conf default, but I
think we still have concerns about that having problems with the
regression tests and the buildfarm.

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения