Re: Trouble with hashagg spill I/O pattern and costing

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Trouble with hashagg spill I/O pattern and costing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 08:34:05PM +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 11:19:01AM -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:

>I think we should do the pre-allocation patch too. I haven't tried yet
>but I believe the tlist fix alone won't do nearly as good.

I've done some measurements on the smaller (SSD) machine, and the
comparison looks like this:

             sort   hash   hash+prealloc+tlist   hash+tlist
       4MB    331    478                   188          330
     128MB    222    434                   210          350

The last column is master with the tlist tweak alone - it's better than
hashagg on master alone, but it's not nearly as good as with both tlist
and prealloc patches.

I can't test this on the larger box with SATA temporary tablespace at
the moment (other tests are running), but I believe the difference will
be even more pronounced there.

I don't think we're under a lot of pressure - beta1 is out anyway, so we
have time to do proper testing first.

regards

Сообщение: Re: Trouble with hashagg spill I/O pattern and costing
Сообщение: Re: Trouble with hashagg spill I/O pattern and costing