Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May  8, 2020 at 09:14:01AM +0200, Fabien COELHO wrote:
> > It seems (a) pointless
>
> I disagree, on the very principle of free software values as a social
> movement.
>
> Documentation improvements should be encouraged, and recognizing these in
> the release notes contributes to do that for what is a lot of unpaid work
> given freely by many people. I do not see this as "pointless", on the
> contrary, having something "free" in a mostly mercantile world is odd enough
> to deserve some praise.
>
> How many hours have you spent on the function operator table improvements?
> If someone else had contributed that and only that to a release, would it
> not justify two lines of implicit thanks somewhere down in the release
> notes?
>
> Moreover adding a documentation section costs next to nothing, so what is
> the actual point of not doing it? Also, having some documentation
> improvements listed under "source code" does not make sense: writing good,
> precise and structured English is not "source code".

We have long discussed how much of the release notes is to reward
behavior, and we have settled on having the names on the items, and the
Acknowledgments section at the bottom.  If you want to revisit that
decision, you should start a new thread because doing it for just this
item doesn't make sense.

Сообщение: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Сообщение: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft