Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)

От Peter J. Holzer
Тема Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2020-03-20 17:53:11 -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 3/20/20 4:29 PM, Peter J. Holzer wrote:

[...]
> > Yes. This wasn't a response to the OP's requirements, but to David's
> > (rather knee-jerk, IMHO) "don't use sequences" response. Very often the
> > requirements which would preclude sequences also preclude any other
> > solution.
>
> I don't see  a knee-jerk reaction in this:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAKFQuwZ%3D%3Dri5_m2geFA-GPOdfnVggmJRu3zEi%2B1EwJdJA%3D9AeQ%40mail.gmail.com
>
> The response was if you cared about gaps(not something the OP had specified
> at that point) then a sequence would not work.

And I think that "care about gaps -> sequence doesn't work" is a
knee-jerk reaction. It's similar to "can't parse HTML with regexps".
True in the general case, and therefore people tend to blurt it out
every time the topic comes up. But not necessarily true in specific
cases. As I wrote above, there is no perfect solution - so you have to
think about the actual requirements and the consequences of various
solutions - and maybe using a sequence is the best (or least bad)
solution.

        hp

Вложения