Re: type of some table storage params on doc

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: type of some table storage params on doc
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2020-Mar-18, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Hmm.  So unadorned 'floating point' seems to refer to float8; you have
> > to use float(24) in order to get a float4.  The other standards-mandated
> > name for float4 seems to be REAL.  (I had a look around but was unable
> > to figure out whether the standard mandates exact bit widths other than
> > the precision spec).  Since they're not doubles, what about we use REAL
> > rather than FLOATING POINT?
>
> Isn't this whole argument based on a false premise?  What parse_real
> returns is double, not float.  Also notice that config.sgml consistently
> documents those GUCs as <type>floating point</type>.  (I recall having
> recently whacked some GUC descriptions that were randomly out of line
> with that.)

Ah, I hadn't checked -- I was taking the function and struct names at
face value, but it turns out that they're lies as well -- parse_real,
relopt_real all parsing/storing doubles *is* confusing.

That being the case, I agree that "float4" is the wrong thing and
"floating point" is what to use.